The Role of an IT Consultant and What it Takes to Succeed

 In Education

The role of an IT consultant is an underestimated one. Whether you have an in-house IT team or outsource it all to an agency, the job is a little like a duck treading water. From the surface, all looks fine. Yet behind the scenes, a lot of things are happening just to keep it all ticking over.

Like every profession worth its salt, it takes a particular type of person to make it in the IT industry. The team here at Link IT collectively have over 40 years experience in IT services, with specialisms in all areas from disaster recovery, networking and business intelligence.  

Here, we look at what we can bring to your company in the role of an IT consultant, whether that’s for a one-off project or a more long-term commitment.

 

Technical knowledge

 

This really goes without saying – the role of IT consultant means knowing a wide range of networks like the back of your hand. This is especially the case when being part of a outsourced consultancy – you never know what systems or problematic situations you will be faced with. This means keeping a skill set up to date at all times. This includes both the latest developments but also not forgetting the basics with older technology either. It’s estimated that office staff understand around 20% of the features available in the software that they use – leaving 80% of applications, which could save time and money, going to waste. So, the role of an IT consultant means practicing what you preach and suggesting more than turning the computer on and off again when something goes wrong or in order to perform a task most effectively.

 

Adaptability

 

The role of an IT consultant also means being adaptable to change. New threats, legislation changes such as GDPR and updates come in all of the time. For example, cyber security has been big news and cyber crime is a growing threat for businesses of all sizes. Research has shown that it will cost businesses over $2 trillion (£1.5 trillion) by 2019 – a four-fold increase from 2015. There is a real need to invest in cyber security basics, such as the Government-accredited Cyber Essentials scheme. Get yourself in expert hands to secure your network under digital lock and key.

 

Be a people person

 

Some people in the technology industry may not be best known for social skills. But, at Link IT, we believe that they are essential to be successful in the role of an IT consultant. If you are based in-house, the departments throughout your organisation need to know that you are approachable and that you will get the problem fixed in a timely manner. If you are an outsourced IT consultant, your clients have to feel happy to pick up the phone and know that they will be assisted by a friendly professional. Having said that, it is important in the role of an IT consultant to have a thick skin. Some people may never be happy no matter what service you provide for the. But, rest assured in your own knowledge when you have done a good job and got their system back up and running.

 

Competitive edge

 

Here at Link IT, we’re proud to be a small and independent business. We know what it takes to make that a success, how to stand out in the crowd and how to keep our working lives ticking over. Success in the role of an IT consultant does not mean always saying yes, though. Clients and companies will hire you because of ethics, such as honesty, knowing when to say no and how to prioritise tasks. They should welcome your expertise on the state of the industry, network optimisation and the right software to support your business needs. Listen to what your current and potential clients have to say, like we do at Link IT, and the successful relationships on which a business rests are sure to flourish

The Link IT team would love to help you and your business to grow with a safe, secure and sustainable IT network supported by professional expertise should something go wrong. Read our blog on the benefits of outsourcing or contact us to find out more.

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search

On the surface, artificial intelligence may still sound like something from a sci-fi film rather than something which could relate to real life. However, you may be surprised. Click to read more.There are a number of ways in which IT outsourcing benefits a business - reducing risk, upping productivity and leaving your technology to the experts. Click to read more.